Hi. I’m Victoria. Thanks for visiting. Several of my posts are related to religious belief and what I’ve learned through the lens of neurology, psychology, biology, sociology, geophysiology, and anthropology, etc. For most of my life I was a devout Christian. My painstaking deconversion journey commenced 2000 and ended in 2005.
I identify with the precepts of humanism. As a free-thinker, there is no area of thought that I am afraid to explore, to challenge, to question, or to doubt. I have no issues with people who believe in god(s). But I do take issue with beliefs and ideologies that interfere with the rights and well-being of others.
I’ve met many bloggers who have inspired me with their authenticity and courage; as well as their ideas, knowledge, and talents. I have found a fantastic community here on WordPress — and have met some life-long friends.
“The best moments usually occur when a person’s body or mind is stretched to its
limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile.”
A few things about me:
- I have a great interest in behavioral neuroscience. The more knowledge we gain about the brain and the impact that environment (including culture, especially religion) has on it, the better our chances of surviving and thriving (peacefully) as citizens of this planet. We have the resources, tools and knowledge to make that a reality. I am encouraged.
- Reading vast amounts of research challenged my indoctrinated assumptions about ‘human nature’, and positively changed my outlook on life.
- Understanding the impact that geomagnetic activity, space weather, and infrasound can have on humans, also occupies my time. The numerous studies are fascinating and serve to explain a lot of the so called supernatural phenomena.
- Reading is my favorite pass time. I prefer non-fiction. Autumn is my favorite season. I suppose the main reason is because I’ve lived in warmer, humid climates for the better part of life, and the crisp, cool air is a welcomed relief.
- I have one child, a daughter, who is now a young woman and has left the nest. We have a close relationship and a special friendship. I can’t imagine my life without her.
- Being creative energizes me and I love how I feel when I’m in that state of flow. When I’m in that flow I can lose awareness of time. I have an eye for design and can make any space, inside or out, feel and look like a peaceful resort.
- I live in the Bible Belt on the Gulf Coast. I love being in and around water. The first time I went scuba diving, I wept. I was in awe.
- I enjoy sightseeing, conversations with substance and spending time with close friends. But, there’s no place like home — which is to say — I’m a homebody.
Thanks again for dropping by. Please don’t hesitate to leave comments, either here or on my other blog. I’m interested in your thoughts/feedback and enjoy discourse.